Adventure Awaits

When you snap out of the mundane, break routine and embrace your adventurous side, that’s when life, and food, gets interesting. Sabra believes in a richer life lived through expanded horizons. We are authentic and worldly, while our products transport you to new and exciting taste adventures, unlike anything you have ever experienced before.

Monday, October 25, 2010

Ray's Journal Entry - Day 4

Hello and once again greetings from Cunda Island!

This morning our day started off with
a swim in the Aegean Sea. The water was a bit brisk at first, but was more than tolerable. The clarity of the water was unbelievable! At a depth of eight feet, I could easily see to the bottom.

After swimming we returned to our hotel for a quick breakfast and then it was off to cooking class. Today, with the help and guidance of Master Chef Adile and her two capable assistants, Sultan & Pinar & our tour guide, Ciemen, I prepared a six course meal for ten people. The meal included artichoke hearts in olive oil with peas and carrots, lamb with yogurt, stuffed, steamed fish stew, stuffed pumpkin blossoms, gummy rice pudding & roasted pumpkin wrapped in filo dough. After the meal was complete, we sampled my cooking and I received many compliments for good efforts and a job well done.

Soon after sampling lunch, we left Cunda Island to be the guests of Emir, Sabira Hussan & Hussien who live in the mountainous area just outside of Ayvalik. After stopping along the way for some panoramic still photos we arrived at our destination and were welcomed into their home where they hosted us for dinner. Immediately I was made to feel like one of the family. I was treated to a dinner feast that would impress anyone. We started off with a tomato broth soup which was followed by fresh fried sardines, babaganoush, a bounty of olive dishes and many others too numerous to mention. I was treated like royalty and I felt a warmth from them that I still feel now as I write this entry. Soon it was time to head back to our hotel and we departed company. Before I left, Emir and I prayed together wishing each other health, & happiness for years to come. As we drove back to the hotel in our bus, I couldn’t stop thinking about how warm and open these people were to me.

Oh, one more thing. Apparently, I may have hit the oil well my first time out. The owner of the olive grove told me that the olive oil that I picked & pressed had turned out to be quite the bottling. He suggested that I send some to the LA County Fair Olive Oil Competition. He seems to think that I could win a medal!

Well that’s all for now. I have an early wake up tomorrow as we need to catch a plane and head to Istanbul.

Ray


No comments:

Post a Comment